I made this Raw Choc Orange Cheesecake originally for my Mums 60th last July, but in true #mummybrain style I was too disorganized (and rather disheveled) to get any pictures of the Beautiful square chocolate and orange slab covered in raw brownie bliss balls, drizzled with dark chocolate and fresh orange segments– devo.
So it’s taken me this long to publish the recipe despite being hounded (lovingly hounded) to make it again and take some pics, because I mean seriously, who wants to try making something themselves when there is no pretty pic to inspire them?!
While the texture is worlds apart from that of Jaffas, I couldn’t help but be instantly transported back in time to a ten year old sitting in a movie cinema (probably watching TMNT!) when I taste tested this dessert….
For me it’s one of those nostalgic flavours and it always reminds me of my Mum who despite claiming to not be fussed on dessert almost always used to have either Jaffas or Musk sticks hidden somewhere in the kitchen for when she’d get up for a midnight munch. I use the term ‘hidden’ loosely, I’d always find them, like a sniffer dog to cocaine.
The recipe itself is SUPER simple, but there is a bit of groundwork in soaking the cashews, so no room for #mummybrain if you want to make it for a dinner party on Saturday be sure to get those nuts into water Friday night.
And if you don’t have a Thermomix (you should totes do yourself a favour and get one on 24mths interest free, totally worth it, and no I am not affiliated at all, I just literally couldn’t live without mine now!) when I used to make raw cheesecakes in my good ol’ KMix I would probably blend for about 15 minutes all up, stopping and scrapping the sides as I went. It never really got the silky smooth consistency that it gets using a super powerful processor but still tastes delish nonetheless…
- 320g Raw cashews
- 180g Pure maple syrup
- 50g Coconut oil (unrefined, virgin cold pressed)
- 1 Vanilla bean (split and seeds removed) or 10g vanilla extract
- 50g Lemon juice
- 175g Water
- 60g Raw cacao
- 8-12 drops Wild Orange Essential oil*
- Cashews must be soaked in water minimum of 8 hours, do this by covering them with water about an inch higher than they sit in a bowl, cover the bowl with a tea towel and sit it in a cool spot on the bench.
- Drain the cashews and rinse extremely well, when you think they are rinsed...rinse them one more time.
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed food processor and blitz on medium for a minute or so until well combined, scrape the sides and then blitz on the highest setting until smooth, you may need to stop every minute or so to scrape down the sides.
- (Thermomix speed 5 30secs, scrape, speed 10 2minutes)
- Pour the smooth mixture into a pie flan, silicon muffin molds, (or silicon chocolate molds for bite sized treats) and then place in the freezer to set for at least 6 hours.
- To serve, I like to eat them super frozen (it's almost like an icecream) but my hubby likes them to defrost for 5-10 minutes before he digs in, so take your pick...enjoy!
* I only use and recommend doTERRA essential oils as they are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade 100% pure essential oil and I trust their safety, purity and efficacy. To see more about the incredible initiative doTERRA have set in place to trace their oils back to the source and ensure no synthetics, fillers, or foreign chemicals are present in each and every batch, see www.sourcetoyou.com xx
If you are interested in finding out more about doTERRAs essential oils please leave me a comment or email me on email@example.com I would love to connect with you!